Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 by Rob Robinson
“When I am engaging with people of other religious faiths, I find myself unable to commit to their conclusions or agree with their assessments. Yet at the same time I come away encouraged by the spiritual truths found in their traditions, thrilled by new insights into my own faith, and more passionate than ever about being a disciple of Jesus. The truth is illuminated and elongated in my mind, and my presuppositions and myopic perspectives are challenged and corrected in the process. Anything less would not be a conversation and would imply that truth is a proposition and not Christ.”
— Leonard Sweet, Nudge, Awakening Each Other to the God Who’s Already There, p.28,
Filed under: books, evangelism, missional | Leave a comment »
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 by Rob Robinson
My facebook friend Lyndsie posted this link to blog one another which posted 14 Reasons to Stop Evangelizing Your Friends. I think these are legitimate reasons. What do you think?
- It makes them uncomfortable.
- It makes you uncomfortable.
- It makes you think about how to twist every conversation to Jesus rather than seeing how Jesus is already there.
- It makes you believe you’re bringing God to them, rather than seeing how the Holy Spirit has already been active in their lives.
- It pressures you into showing an unrelatable happy, plastic face rather than letting God’s grace shine through your struggles.
- It makes you focus on talking rather than listening.
- It leads you to answer questions they aren’t asking.
- It makes you think about what to say rather than how to love.
- It makes you think faith is a list of statements rather than a different way of living.
- It puts you into the role of “teacher,” causing you to miss things your friends can teach you.
- It makes them see you as a religious salesman rather than an apprentice of the Master.
- It hurts your friendship.
- It robs you of a good time.
- It makes you think their lack of interest in your evangelism means they are not interested in Jesus or spiritual questions.
Filed under: evangelism, faith, missional | 3 Comments »